Sunday 28 February 2010

Pasta with Pesto, Mushrooms, Peas and Broccoli

A friend made something like this for me last week and it was delicious. I hardly ever use pesto as a pasta sauce, wrongly thinking it's not something I like. But I really did like this! The original version used filled tortellini, baby corn and mange tout. But the version below was just as good.

For 2-3 portions you need:
200g pasta (I used spirlli)
1 tub pesto (I used fresh as I think it tastes nicer than a jar)
4-5 mushrooms, stalks chopped in to 2 and the cups cut into 4-6 pieces depending on how big they are
small head broccili, cut into small florets
1 cup frozen peas
3 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
watercress salad to serve.

Begin by cooking the pasta. Meanwhile sautee the mushrooms in a lidded pan with the oil for about 5 mins. Then add the broccoli and continue to cook over a fairly high heat, using the lid to retain the steam. Add a little water if you need to create more steam and cook the broccoli. Then add the frozen peas and pesto. Check the pasta is cooked and drain when done. Check the vegetables and pesto for seasoning and then combine the pasta with the sauce. Serve with salad. Yummy. The leftovers are nice cold for a salad lunch the next day.

2 comments:

  1. Becka,

    I came across your site while looking for a recipe like this. It was yummy and very easy to make. I used a penne pasta and Buitoni pesto. Unfortunately, we don't have any leftovers for tomorrow!

    I'll definitely take a peek at your other recipes.

    Thanks!
    -S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay :) Glad you liked it :) Enjoy browsing the rest of the blog!

    ReplyDelete