Sunday 23 January 2011

Nigella's Brownies

I can't believe I haven't blogged these before now, given how many times I have made them. They were the original brownie recipe for me. Dark. Dense. Incredibly chocolatey. Horrifically calorific. But utterly gorgeous. Make with caution...

For about 36 pieces you need:
375g butter
375g good quality plain chocolate
6 eggs
500g vanilla caster sugar
225g plain flour
300g chopped walnuts (optional, I never use them)

Melt the butter and chocolate slowly. Meanwhile whisk the eggs and sugar till thick and fluffy. This will take about 5 mins with an electric whisk. Add the flour and mix well. Allow the chocolate and butter to cool slightly and then mix in well. Pour into a lined tin (I use a lakeland tray bake tin which is the perfect size) and bake for 45 mins or so at 180 degrees. This recipe is notorious for saying cook for 25 mins in the book but I find that this leaves the brownies far too soggy in the middle. Great for a fondant pudding but not good as a brownie. You want it cakey at the edges and squidgy for the middle pieces if that makes sense. Allow to cook and then cut into squares. This recipe freezes really well so is worth making the whole batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment