Saturday 13 February 2010

Beetroot Cake

I am really not keen on beetroot, but it keeps appearing in the veg box, along with cabbage... So I'm always on the lookout for different things to do with it. I thought I'd give cake a whirl this time in an attempt to disguise it a bit more.

This recipe is based on one from the Riverford website

You need:

250g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
150g soft brown sugar
100g sultanas
200g beetroot, peeled and grated (or use carrots instead)
150ml vegetable or sunflower oil
2 medium sized eggs, beaten
1 tsp ground mixed spice

Mix together the flour, baking powder, spices and soft brown sugar and add the sultanas and grated beetroot. Mix in the oil and eggs. Combine well. Pour into a prepared tin (I use a loaf tin) and bake for 1-1¼ hours. Cool and top with cream cheese frosting if you want. Scoff. Revel in the fact that you've eaten beetroot and not even know in. Genius.

1 comment:

  1. verdict on this recipe? If like me you don't like beetroot then you can still taste it! I recommend using cocoa powder next time to mask the taste some more. It's not a cake I will be rushing to make again though it has to be said!

    ReplyDelete