Saturday 17 October 2009

Blackberry and Apple Crumble

I am not a big crumble fan - I usually like the idea of it more than the reality. But I have to say tonight's offering was lovely. My FIL enjoyed it enough to give me a compliment!

You need:
4 large cooking apples, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tbsp water
3 tbsp vanilla sugar

150g plain flour
75g cold butter
25g oats
75g cinnamon sugar

2 cups blackberries
2 tbsp vanilla sugar

Start by putting the apples, sugar and water into a pan and cooking for 10 mins till soft and fluffy. Pour into a shallow baking dish and top with the scattered blackberries. Add the extra vanilla sugar on to this.

Blitz the butter and plain flour in a food processor until it's like find breadcrumbs. Tip into a bowl and add the sugar and oats. Mix and then scatter over the fruit in the dish.

Bake at 180 degrees for 15 mins then turn up the heat to 200 and bake for another 10-15 mins till bubbling and browned and crispy on top.

Serve with custard for a proper english treat, or mascapone/creme fraiche if you fancy something more continental. Delicious either way. The leftovers will be my breakfast tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment