Wednesday 2 September 2009

Rice Pudding

Ahhh a childhood staple. I adore rice pudding. Sometimes only a can or carton will do when I am in a trashy junk food mood. But other times I crave rich, luscious, creamy home made rice pudding. My mum taught me the trick of using a can of evaporated milk in with the normal milk to give an instant richness and creaminess to it. Recently I've also started to add cardamon and other spices to liven it up a bit. The recipe below is my all time favourite.


What you need

2.5oz of pudding rice or risotto/paella rice
2 tbsp sugar (I use vanilla)
1 pint milk - use one large can of evaporated milk and top up with semi-skimmed to the pint
3 cracked cardamon pods
grating fresh nutmeg
few strands of saffron

Mix all of the ingredients together and then place in a lidded casserole dish into a pre-heated 150 degree oven. Stir after the first 30 mins and then leave to slowly cook for 90 mins or so until the rice is cooked. I think it's better fridge cold the next day after the rice has plumped up a bit and the flavours have mingled, but DH thinks it's best eaten hot straight from the oven. Either way it makes a luscious pudding or breakfast.

1 comment:

  1. Made this today on the stove top - put everything into a heavy based pan (I use my smallest le cruset) and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 20 mins till the rice is cooked. Keep stirring so it doesn't stick. The texture is different to when it is baked and there is no skin, but it's a lot faster. I flavoured it with some safforn, 6 crushed cardomon pods and a cinnamon stick.

    ReplyDelete