Sunday 2 January 2011

Quorn and Mushroom Pot Pie

Oh my. Oh my indeed. Yes I know it's not modest but I *am* an utter culinary genius if this pie is anything to go by (and I am also blogging this rather pissed...!). I had been hankering after a lovely, creamy, rich fake chicken and mushroom pie all xmas so this is what I made for dinner last night. It was lovely.

For a pie that will serve 3-4 people depending on greed you need:
1 packet quorn chunks
1 onion, diced
125g mushrooms, sliced
150ml white wine
75ml double cream
250ml vegetable stock
1 pack all butter puff pastry
2 tbsp fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
salt and pepper
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg

Begin by frying the onion in the oil for about 5 mins. Add the mushrooms, and taking note from Julia Child DO NOT CROWD THE PAN ;-). Cook for a further 5-10 mins until the mushrooms are lightly browned.

Add the quorn and sprinkle over the flour and cook for 2-3 mins. Add the wine and boil briefly. Add the stock and the cream and parsley and cook for another 2-3 mins until the sauce is thickened and lovely. Check the seasoning.

Place the filling in a pie dish and top with the pastry. Decorate as you wish, not forgetting the steam holes, and brush with egg glaze.

Bake in a hot oven for about 30 mins until the filling is piping hot and the pastry is risen and golden. Serve with mash and veggies.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I made your recipe tonight, with varied success...I added roasted broccoli, and used portobella mushrooms, which gave the filling a nice brown tint. The family, including picky 4 year old, ate it up. We also thought that next time we'd add some carrots for even more nutritional heft. Cheers,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete