Saturday 30 January 2010

Banana Cake

I have to admit, I have sort of gone of this recipe, but only cos I've made it sooooooo many times. It was a staple of my pregnant/maternity leave days, and my secret confession is that I do prefer the raw batter to the finished article. But that's just my opinion. Everyone else seems to love the cakes. I've just eaten too many of them...!

This is a Nigella recipe from Domestic Goddess.

You need:
175g plain flour
125g butter, melted
100g sultanas (I used mixed berries and cherries today)
60g chopped walnuts
80ml brandy
2 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb
150g vanilla sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 very ripe bananas, mashed

Begin by heating the dried fruit in the brandy and leaving aside for 10 mins to absorb the liquid. Melt the butter. Mash the bananas and then add everything else to the mashed bananas. I prefer the batter poured into individual cases but you can also bake it as a loaf. Either way bake in a moderate oven for 15 mins (fairy cakes) or 30 mins (loaf tine). The cake will rise and a skewer will come out clean when they're done (if you use silicone cases then the cake will have shrunk away from the sides a little when it's cooked.

They freeze very well, and it does keep but gets stickier and stickier (and smellier and smellier!) as it matures! Makes about 30 individual cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment